ADVANCED STUDIES FOR FELDENKRAIS TEACHERS
Dear teachers, please join us for discussion and investigation sessions in organic teaching and studying.
In these sessions we engage in anatomical-physiological investigation and explore the various learning possibilities through movement.
In the teachers' sessions, we create a learning space in which we examine and discover our abilities to improve and teach our students to be their own teachers and therapists.
We watch videos documenting Dr. Feldenkrais' work: We try to understand and analyze Functional Integration lessons given to different students.
We follow each student's evolvement in each lesson, try to understand the principles that lie behind each lesson, practice elements from the Functional Integration class, and try to produce an Awareness Through Movement class out of Dr. Feldenkrais' video.
We discuss actual "cases" from students' practices and examine different ways for learning.
As a basis for all sessions, we focus on understanding the processes that occur in the brain (as far as we can understand them) and how this understanding can be used in our learning process.
In the sessions, Michal presents ideas, dilemmas and thoughts she faces during her work. Everyone is invited to share their own thoughts and dilemmas. This form of sharing and discussion is the best possible way to learn and evolve.
If we allow ourselves to ask questions, the answers become less important.
The following are examples of topics discussed in recent years:
- Different positions/ environments: Mainly, pupils are lying during Feldenkrais lessons. Sometimes it is suitable to do lessons sitting on a chair, standing or even in water. During the course advantages and disadvantages of the different positions are discussed.
- Anatomy, the structure and the function of the different body parts and how the principles of the Feldenkrais Method can be applied
- Common injuries and diseases are discussed and investigated e.g. : Scoliosis, Frozen Shoulder, back pain, hip joint replacement, fractures, herniated disc...
- Movements in different stages of growing up are explored, like coming from lying to sitting, turning over, crawling and walking
- How can the attention be directed to successfully change/ improve / become aware of habitual movement patterns
- Special attention is paid to the crucial connection of the head, the shoulder girdle, the spine and the pelvis.
- How to use tools and accessories like balls in a Feldenkrais lesson
- Learn the use of different muscle groups: extensors and flexors.